Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anna's Weeki-Watchee




What did my Anna want to do on her birthday a few years ago? Go on a day trip to Weeki-Watchee Springs . And it was totally fitting for us to celebrate Anna's birth in a classic example of Retro Florida. I think Weeki Watchee's most booming time was the 60's, and when you go it still breaths "retro", it reminds me of parties on Cocoa Beach with astronauts and cat eye glasses. I also think of Anna as someone who has been reincarnated form that era. Her soul is not done living in that era. So I dedicate this post to you Anna!!!

*In the rest of the post Weeki-Watchee will be WW.

It was Anna, Sam and I, on a little adventure to middle of nowhere. That's the thing about WW. It's a little gem in the swamp. There is NOTHING else to do around there. Just some stilt houses (because it's a swamp), and I think I recall a dollar store? Not quite worth a 5 hour drive, but definitely worth a 2 hour drive. You can't call yourself a Floridian without going to this legend.

I'm talking MERMAIDS here! Real mermaids! In an oasis of a spring in the middle of the swamp!

I love mermaids.

So. It probably would have taken 2 hours to get there but we got lost. I's and 1's are very different apparently. Tip #1: PRINT out your directions directly from mapquest, do not write it yourself. This is also why country music is important (Tip #2). No one gets frustrated or annoyed when your belting out some Garth Brooks. And that's what us 3 do really well. Belt out country. and get "un-lost". we're pros.

So all the sudden you're in the middle of nowhere and BAM! you see it. old white cement walls, maybe a mermaid perched on it, getting some sun and waving to you. And you're lured in. $12 later, we are running around the park, furiously looking for mermaids. We see peacocks. mermaid statues. Cypress trees. souvenir shop. But where are the mermaids? Duuuhh, in the spring!

So we settled in this cool underground auditorium, but except for a stage, there is a big glass window looking into the spring. Think seaworld's Shamu tank. But Retro. Sooo cooool!

And the show starts. The shows rotate, but I think the one we saw was The Little Mermaid. not sure. It was an underwater ballet version. Very beautiful, those mermaids can really swim/dance! The ended with a tribute to the US Flag. Mermaids are patriots too!

After the show we wandered around the park. Got a pic with a mermaid. Got harassed by a peacock. Took a ferry ride down the WW river. Could of used a margarita. Yes, margaritas would have perfected it.

All in all, it was a very fun adventure. We where back in Gainesville before dark, to end it all with a Sex and the City Marathon and martinis. What more could a girl ask for? Mostly what stands out the most from that day is lots of laughs, we had so much fun on our girly adventure. And isn't that really the point?

Check out weekiwatchee.com to learn more about the park, or to see upcoming events. I'm so happy it didn't close down, I know there were rumors. I think it got bought out by the state and is now a state park. A state park with mermaids, that's gotta be unique! How come more people don't know about this?!

All of the sudden I'm craving tuna salad for lunch. Never post a blog on an empty stomach.

2 comments:

  1. hmmm, why are my pics cut off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thank you!! I loved that trip so much!! I'm reposting this on my blog too!!

    ReplyDelete