Thursday, August 6, 2009

Let the road trips begin!

Welcome to my blog. Growing up in Florida has given me countless road trip adventures, and I hope that sharing my past and future experiences will inspire others to have memorable (and budget friendly) adventures of their own. I also hope to learn from others, so please feel free to add your own 2 cents to my posts.

I grew up in the Florida Keys, and worked for years in the hospitality industry, right in the middle of tourist central. Cruise ships, restaurants, sunsets, tourist traps, Duval Street, hotels, and the like was where I learned first hand about the frustrations and joys of traveling. As a local, I frequently played tourist and experienced Key West from their point of view. Some aspects are amazing, and some are horrible. These were valuable experiences, as it has helped me get the most of my travels, knowing the kinds of things that are rip-offs or memorable.

I left the Florida Keys to study at the University of Florida. Not only did the university offer me football games and knowledge, but also many friends who loved to take weekend roadtrips (and many who's parents lived in interesting locales...score!). We had to travel on a budget, and we soon learned that fun travel companions are more important than any other aspect of the trip. We could have $150 between four of us and have more fun in some old Florida town than if we stayed at the Ritz and drank champagne. But of course, we could have made that fun too.

I have also traveled around the country, and the world for that matter, but I will try to focus on trips that are weekend friendly in Florida. Posts that involve airplanes will be "bonus posts." Some of my posts will be about major tourist destinations (such as Disney or Key West), and some will be more obscure towns (such as Titusville or High Springs). But I will only posts destinations that have the potential to be fun adventures. All you will need to add into the mix are great travel companions of your own! If it is a family trip, leave the grouch of the house at home (just kidding....or not). I will also try to outline the costs and minimal budget needed.

Hey , we're in a recession right now, but that doesn't mean we have to stay at home every weekend! If I could do it on a college student's budget, surely you can too. Take advantage of all that Florida has to offer: from paradises to amusement parks to camping. I can't wait to hear about your own experiences as well. Feel free to use this blog as a way of sharing your trips too. And don't be afraid to ask questions, but beware you might get opinions more than facts!

Don't worry, Florida's tourism commissions aren't paying me- no one is. The only bias you have to worry about is my own. And I'm a believer in making the best of any situation. Even if you drive an hour to the beach just to meet a tropical wave. Bad weather is just one of the many reasons great travel companions are important. You don't want whiners: you want laughers.

See ya on the road! This weekend: Key West!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're joining the bloggosphere! Mine is locked to keep nonbloggers, aka girls i work with out, but now you can catch up on my screwy love life!! haha!

    ReplyDelete